Sunday, September 23, 2012

Why Am I a Scatterbrain?


Let’s me start by saying, I have never, in my life,  been an organized person. The thing is, as long as no one touches anything, I know exactly where everything is. I know what pile a certain piece of paper is in and I know what laundry basket has the particular pair of socks my husband wants to wear; but mess with my “system” and it all goes to hell.

After filling out several forms for doctors for my students concerning ADD/ADHD, I realized, can’t deny it now. If this was for me…FAIL!! Ted always says I have the thought process of a butterfly and he also calls me Hurricane Heather, he can follow my path of “projects” through the house and see what distracted me.

It wasn’t as bad as it is now. I think it may be because of a medicine I was put on for migraines. It has helped them tremendously, but one day for kicks I went and read all the side effects. Well no wonder I’ve turned into a class A scatterbrain. I read some of them and a lot I just thought were because I was getting older, nope the pills.

Here are a few…

These are listed in the special precaution section

You should know that Med X may make you drowsy, dizzy, confused, or unable to concentrate. Do not drive a car or operate machinery until you know how this medication affects you. I already had these problems without the help of medication; let’s make it a party now.
You should know that Med X can prevent you from sweating and make it harder for your body to cool down when it gets very hot. This happens most often in warm weather and to children who take Med X. Avoid exposure to heat, drink plenty of fluids and tell your doctor if you have a fever, headache, muscle cramps, or an upset stomach, or if you are not sweating as usual.  You see this could very well explain my need to wear tank tops, even in winter.

These are listed are everyday, run of the mill side effects

slowed reactions  It’s a good thing my kids aren’t used to me coming to their rescue.
difficulty concentrating  I’ve never in my live mastered this skill, why start now.
speech problems, especially difficulty thinking of specific words  This has always been an issue for me and I talk with my hands a lot to compensate, now there’s a lot of “you know what I’m talking about”.
 memory problems  My kids are lucky they get picked up at school.
lack of coordination  This could be why I completely suck at Zumba (read about my Zumba experience http://kraushousemom.blogspot.com/2012/08/zumba.html)
confusion  I frequently look lost.
gas  If you know me than you know nothing has changed here.
change in ability to taste food  DO NOT, DO NOT drink soda (especially diet) until you’ve taken these for a while…it tastes nasty.

These side effects are nothing new to me, now they are just exacerbated to an extreme level…Welcome to my world!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment