Friday, September 6, 2013

Avoid Sensory Overloads



Trying to keep my house and my kids organized has been a nightmare. When I met Carolyn Dalgliesh and found out about the book she was about to publish, The Sensory Child Gets Organized, I knew I had to have it. (I think she may have written it just for me.) Had she been talking to my neighbors about the constant ruckus in the Kraus house?


When I was teaching, I never knew what sort of students I was going to have year to year so my room was very organized (picture labels and everything). My house has never been that way, and my daughter and I both need it. I’m sure my husband will thank you.

Well, the book came out this week and you can help your sensory child as well.

The beginning of the book, like any trade book, is full of technical language. Carolyn does an excellent job helping you navigate through the alphabet soup that is the acronyms of sensory children. She also offers suggestions for you, the parent, on figuring out the best method, system or style is best for your child.

Carolyn is not just some yahoo who is spouting some theory, she lives it. She is a professional organizer and she has a sensory child. She developed this out of love and necessity.

Her book is not a “one size fits all” approach. She helps with the fundamentals so you can design the space around your child’s needs. Carolyn also tackles the dreaded homework dilemma and offers suggestions on conquering that beast of a task.

The suggestions and opportunities to reduce stress in your household go on and on. One of the best features I found in this book was the twenty pages of resources. Information on where to get materials, information and support are all in there.

I would recommend this book to any parent, not just parents of sensory children.

Thank you Carolyn, although my husband is not thrilled with the list of ideas I came with.


*Disclosure…I was given a copy of the book The Sensory Child Gets Organized to facilitate this review, but as always, the opinions are all my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment